with another update, about time really!
Small but tasty crop from the one blue berry plant.
very good with my weetabix in the morning!!
I have been popping down to the plot for half an hour here and there, collecting lettuce, picking my (finally) first few courgettes, training the pumpkins across the plot, planting the second lot of runner beans and the French climbing beans also. I put in the butternut squash plants, and also sowed some more seed for them in case they don't take. The spinach as i said before was bolting and i didn't even get any leaves of them as they all went to seed, so i removed most of them and put in the Pak Choi which look quite healthy. This was the second sowing of Pak Choi as the first ones died suddenly before i got them in. I have also sowed further rows of 'Boltardy' beetroot although the previous sowings are now coming along nicely.
As we now have had a few days of sun at last i also managed to dig up the first few early potatoes and pulled a few carrots. The onions are ones i grew in a container in the garden before i was given the nod with the new plot. Currently the plot spring sown onions are bulbing up nicely, alongside the carrots which seems to have deterred the carrot fly this year. Even the broadcast sown patch of carrots seem untouched at the moment.I have also attacked the central weed area with shears and, unfortunately, chemicals. I was fighting a losing battle with the couch grass and bindweed as i just could not put in the time to properly dig it all out. I have always said i would never use chemicals on the crops but if required it would be used on weeds. I was having difficulty getting the stuff on the area and having a dry period so it was not washed off, but managed to last week, and today put a second application. Hopefully this will at least bide me some time till i can get the spade into it.
In the greenhouse the tomatoes are fruiting up nicely, chillies are flowering and i have a couple of peppers coming on well. The aubergines are looking healthy although no sings of fruit yet. The cucumber has grown to the roof but does not look too healthy and most of the fruits are not making much progress. I am wondering whether to cut my losses and remove it from an already overcrowded greenhouse and make more room for the rest of the plants.
I shall get the camera out for both the greenhouse and plot soon and update again next week, as i am on holiday then. Yipee!!!!!
Finally a cheeky monkey
and a messy bunny!!!!
Bonus points to who can name the CD she is eating.