I have now got down the the plot for the 'proper first time' this year, with a good couple of hours spent digging and planting. I dug in the green mustard manure that overwintered and mostly had been killed off by the recent snow, its needs to be dug in before it sets seed in spring. This will hopefully add a bit of nutrition to my soil, and i also spread the last of the bone fish blood and raked it in. My MIL had kindly got me my onion sets, 'sturon, stuttgart and turbo' and some shallots (variety unknown). This photo show the area before the sets went in......
and this is it afterwards. I forgot to bring any twine with me!, so used poles to mark the lines. I planted in order from the top sturon, stuttgart and turbo and then the shallots which didn't fill an entire row so completed it with more sturon sets. I still have left over some sets from each variety so may mix them up and do a 'pot luck' bonus row!!
Above is the bottom of the plot where i intend to put the potatoes this year, and also is the pile of manure which was delivered to the site yesterday early, and i got a phone to come and get before it all went! So at 8am i was filling wheel barrows and clearing my sinuses!! Looks like good stuff so will spread soon and probably go into this bottom part.
Below are 2 photos, the reult of an afternoon fun with the kids, my daughter wanted to plant some flowers so she sowed some sunflower seeds (first photo) which i thought might be too early but have signs of starting, the bottom tray is broad beans 'the sutton' which my son helped with great fun, as he enjoyed filling with compost and poking each bean in.