Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Tue 13/10

And i spent pretty much the whole day at the plot, it was about 5 degrees this morning at just gone 9am when i went across but the sun was very warming, as was the weeding and digging over!

The last thing i did was sort out the one end of the plot that has been bothering me, i had been thinking about the rhubarb and moving it, i dont now how many years it has been there and its in an awkward corner, so i dug over a space at the other end of the plot next to the gooseberry and with some manure in the bottom put the divided crowns in. Hopefully they will take, and in a few weeks i'll cover the tops with compost to feed over the winter. The roots of the rhubarb i removed were massive so i suspect the plant has been there for quite a while.

I also drained and moved the smaller blue water butt, and then covered the area with the recently freed tarpulin. I'm going to tidy this area up next year, just cover for the winter to kill of the weeds.

The new home for the rhubarb.

This was the runner bean and pea area, weeded and leveled. The broad bean shoots are at the end.
Bean trench dug! Really glad i got this job done today whilst we had the weather, i wouldn't have fancied doing it if the weather had turned.
I had earlier removed the last sunflower plant, and one of the courgette plants which had pretty much stopped producing fruits, so they went into the bean trench along with the runner bean remains. I then sowed the few broad bean seeds i had left into the mound of soil alongside the trench. I just think that if they do grow i can just turn them into the trench when needed and they should provide extra nutrients then.
The area that had the sunflower and courgette dug and weeded, and sown with mustard seed green manure. A few of the strawberry plants had not taken and died so i replaced those with some of the spares i still had in the garden.


Arno from Down South said...

Gives me backache just looking, well done for all the hard work.

arn said...

yes it was a bit tiring!